A few years ago I accompanied my father-in-law, then afflicted with advanced Parkinson's Disease, to his doctor. We sat down, and a battery of questions ensued - all directed at my father-in-law. I sat in disbelief as he answered "yes" to every question asked by the doctor. He was on a variety of medications, all shapes and sizes, yet he "recalled" whether or not he took them at the prescribed time. Sadly, he could not tell you what day it was, let alone tell someone if he took all his meds. I immediately cut off the doctor and asked him to direct questions to me, as my wife and I were his care-takers. It turned out he was not taking his meds as prescribed. I was able to provide some very clear examples of his misuse.
Thank God I was present at the appointment. I shudder to think how many elderly do not have the benefit of a care-taker that lives close by. This make a strong case for contracting a geriatric care manager. The care manager can be at these appointments, and provide timely and regular updates. He/she can also help the family understand the illness, the care options and the resources available. This can be invaluable.
Care management is not covered by Medicare, Medicaid or private health insurance, but may be covered under certain long-term care policies.
For information on reverse mortgages and the tax-free proceeds that may be available, visit my website: www.topflitereverse.com/florian
No comments:
Post a Comment